PDA

View Full Version : Prot-healing Paladin General Tips!

EzMaN
26-08-09, 12:26 AM
My attempt to contribute with some tips on how to make the Holy/Prot Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sxhdxhZxGzAruMbsIufb) spec work a little better for you.

The basic purpose of this spec, as you can see from looking over it, is a high rate of survivability without a huge gimp to your ability to heal. What you might think right away is it's not enough points in healing, but it really is. With the Touched by the Light talent, it increases the amount your critical heals do, so my flash of lights basically critically heal for eight to ten thousand.

Which brings me to the first part of this"Guide", healing. You need to go ahead and take Holy Light off of your bars, because you don't need it. It is arguable that it's still helpful if you need to bubble and top yourself/team mates off, but trust me, you'll be more mana efficient and better off with Flash of Light. The reasoning behind this is your flash of light, as I stated above, can critically heal for up to ten thousand, where as your Holy Light will base heal for around that much, with a much higher mana cost. So once you factor in mana, number of heals cast and healing done, all while in combat, Flash of Light is the better choice. Keeping Sacred Shield up on your target will help tremendously as well, as whenever it procs it gives your Flash of Light a 50% to critically heal, putting you at about an 80% chance, depending on your gear.

Now onto offensive play. The key of this spec is the ability to deal a nice amount of burst, considering you are in fact a healer. Avenger's Shield and Hammer of Justice are very helpful methods of Crowd Control, both in Battlegrounds and Arenas. Together you can CC a healer for up to nine seconds, along with whatever else your partner(s) can do, that is more than enough time to burst a druid or what-not down. Judgments are another thing. I tend to only judge a target when my team mate(warrior) is attacking it, because otherwise it is a waste of mana, unless it is Judgment of Justice on a druid trying to kite, then it is up to you really. Shield of Righteousness is a very helpful ability when there is someone up in your grills trying to smack you. Generally it can crit for four-thousand, making it a useful tool, however not dependable in tight spots.

Now onto basic survival tips! Holy Shield is a must at all times when there is a rogue or Mortal Strike warrior on you. It deals out 600 or more damage to them each time they hit you, while increasing your block value by 30%. Making it a very useful counter ability to melee classes.

Second tool you have is Aura Mastery, to clarify what this ability does is when you have Concentration Aura active, it makes you immune to silence and interrupts for ten seconds, very helpful in tight spots. It also increased the effect of any Aura by 100% for ten seconds, if you do not have Concentration active. This is mostly helpful against Death Knights, Shaman and Mages, but can be just as effective against every class.

Divine Sacrifice: I find this to be one of the most helpful tools in my Arena toolbox, just because of its ability to take me out of most cc. Basicly what you can do with it is say you fight a team with a rogue on it, to avoid saps is you through that up and it will transfer any damage done to your partner to you, breaking sap. Also breaking Sheep; Blind, Seduce and many other damage breaking CCs. It works the same way as Hand of Sacrifice, just transfers damage from all party members, instead of just one.

Buff and Gear Tips:

This part is pretty straight forward, Blessing of Kings on yourself is almost essential. By giving yourself the extra 10% stamina you increase your Spell Power, also the 10% to intellect helps your Mana Pool and Spell Crit. Blessing of Sanctuary is slightly helpful, however I find Kings to be more effective over-all.

Seal of Wisdom is what I prefer to use, because I have Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, which reduces to mana cost of all healing spells by 5%. Making it the most effective healing seal.

Righteous Fury is a must, having the talents in it make you take 6% less damage with it active.

Lastly, Concentration Aura is the aura of choice for obvious reasons.

As for gear and Gems/Enchants, basically what you want to do is get PvP gear(Duh.) and instead of gemming and Enchanting it with healing gems and enchants, you are going to go ahead and through 24 stamina gems in all slots, and stamina enchants on everything you can. What this does is increases your healing and survivability quiet a bit.