PDA

View Full Version : What LUA Really is

LiLLeCarl
21-09-09, 04:22 PM
Hello MMOPro

Today we are going to talk about what LUA really is,
Well in short i can say its a file extension that cant do anything with the OS.

In the emulator that have LUA support its a little file called "LUAEngine.dll" or something like that.
That engine reads thought all the LUA files you have in your LUA folder, and that means you don't need to compile them or something.
Thats both good and bad it there ways.

GOOD:

Its way faster and easier to edit cause the core don't allocate them so they are probably loaded to the memory.
They are simpler to understand.

BAD:

You don't know if your modifications is right, it can be a typo you dont see before the LUAEngine reads the file(when your starting the server again).
They are loaded to the memory so all the 4000 billion blizzlike LUA's will take more RAM to the server.
The engine will handle so much data so it might start crashing or peaking memory/processor time as a blue donkey (or as ArcEmu)

REALLY BAD:

The emulation wont continue!
All people say "LUA is enough for me"
That means?
No new people will learn C++ and help improve the cores.
I think LUA is evil from the beginning it makes all N00b's say i'm skilled, :O why did my core crash!
Just download the Visual Studio and start testing you will learn the basic stuff you can do in LUA faster then you think AND A LOT MORE

thats my opinion

// LilleCarl

By the way i'm not 100% sure on that the LUAEngine loads all LUA scripts to the memory but i think so.
Please feedback on that part else i'm 100% sure

Lbniese
22-09-09, 12:03 AM
Hmmm... :D

Dimman
22-09-09, 02:01 PM
Well, im not only using LUA for WoW Scripts :)

Avidgamer
22-09-09, 02:04 PM
Same, I use humans for mine..

mec
22-09-09, 02:07 PM
i do agree. though........mangos/trinity have their sh!t together as far as scripts and what not being C++....be nice if arcemu would incorporate that to. its so much easier to compile a C++ script then troubleshoot 2500+ lua files...

Dimman
22-09-09, 02:23 PM
Same, I use humans for mine..
woooooot =?C

carl doesn't like LUA

LiLLeCarl
22-09-09, 03:03 PM
i do agree. though........mangos/trinity have their sh!t together as far as scripts and what not being C++....be nice if arcemu would incorporate that to. its so much easier to compile a C++ script then troubleshoot 2500+ lua files...

Your right in the most ways ^^, the only problem is ArcEmu isnt good anywhere ;D use Aspire and port the FEW good commits from arc to aspire and you will have a good core (Yaay 4 LilleCarl)

mec
22-09-09, 04:33 PM
even despite the fact i hate arcemu....cuz they are so slow. but K-mod Arcemu isnt doing to bad...

LiLLeCarl
23-09-09, 12:43 AM
even despite the fact i hate arcemu....cuz they are so slow. but K-mod Arcemu isnt doing to bad...

let s go on topic and start talking about how bad LUA is ? :D

runiker
25-09-09, 09:35 AM
Its is not bad for fast edits and I think that is what it was meant for when people made wow lua compatible but i think we have taken it too far in that we use it now for advanced scripts that people should be making in c++ not lua. I myself was a violator of this but now I see what harm it can do both to the continue of programing and the server iteself

LiLLeCarl
27-09-09, 03:09 PM
yes i mean look at it no one learn how to do anything exept the lua commands other ppl already releases since no lua scripter can read the lua commands from source ;D

Sounddead
29-09-09, 03:30 PM
You can't say Lua is bad, its the people that use Lua that are bad. Lua has been proven time and time again to be a powerful scripting language for emulators, but it has its flaws as well. Not having to compile a script every time you update your core is a major plus, it saves time and is a lot more efficient when adding/removing/editing your scripts. For scripting monsters and simple events Lua is amazing. C++ scripting on the other hand requires knowledge of a far more complex language, compiling scripts every time you update anything in your core, and it requires a recompile for every time you update or change something in your script.

C++ is great for scripts working directly with the core, events that cannot be handled by Lua, and for scripting extremely complicated monsters. Everything has its place in emulation, and the people that introduced Lua into Ascent based emulators did it for a reason.

You can't just say something is bad because you think its the breeding ground for newbs (Which it really is :P) or that it "probably" loads into memory and increases RAM usage.

Btw, lots of "probably"'s in your post.

Just saying, everything has its purpose and you can't hate on something for no real reason.

LiLLeCarl
02-10-09, 04:08 PM
don't whine on my English i'm 14 and from Sweden xD

Lbniese
03-10-09, 03:53 PM
Lua is not bad, and c++ is not bad.
the can be made to different thinks, lua can be used to a very nice teleporter or boss. c++ can be used to make a guild house system :P

vitalik
21-11-09, 06:12 AM
lua is for scripting with out compiling who makes work much faster.
so lua is very easy and fast to use its what it is.

kjanko
21-11-09, 06:26 AM
It's Lua not LUA you dumb.

Dimman
21-11-09, 07:24 AM
lua is for scripting with out compiling who makes work much faster.
so lua is very easy and fast to use its what it is.

Its easyer to learn but its way more worse than C++ i'm learning C++ atm and its way more fun! :D

vitalik
21-11-09, 10:31 AM
Its easyer to learn but its way more worse than C++ i'm learning C++ atm and its way more fun! :D

youre right but Lua is the Basic c++ with not so much commands to use.

Fatbeard
21-11-09, 11:05 AM
Hello SmallCarl, almost intresting, if not it was filled with propaganda made by some C++ fanboy who can't bother learning LUA.

LUA is a great language which is made up of simple commands. These are handled by the LUA engine built in your Emulator. A LUA Engine is coded by a coder, it could be you, it could be me, the LUA Engine is coded in another language, for example C++.
This means that anyone with enough knowledge could make their own LUA Engine, which makes LUA a very dynamic language.

If the engine is good enough, the script can do anything at all. All bugs can be fixed, etc, etc.

Try it out one day, on your 15th Birthday.

Dimman
21-11-09, 04:10 PM
Hello SmallCarl, almost intresting, if not it was filled with propaganda made by some C++ fanboy who can't bother learning LUA.

LUA is a great language which is made up of simple commands. These are handled by the LUA engine built in your Emulator. A LUA Engine is coded by a coder, it could be you, it could be me, the LUA Engine is coded in another language, for example C++.
This means that anyone with enough knowledge could make their own LUA Engine, which makes LUA a very dynamic language.

If the engine is good enough, the script can do anything at all. All bugs can be fixed, etc, etc.

Try it out one day, on your 15th Birthday.
Yes but it still sucks

mag1212
22-11-09, 10:45 AM
Today we are going to talk about what LUA really is,

its Lua not LUA anyways nice post

Dimman
22-11-09, 12:42 PM
its Lua not LUA anyways nice post

"\___/ <--- oow empty carebox :("

mag1212
23-11-09, 09:44 AM
█] my carecup is full