PDA

View Full Version : How to Compile ArcEmu (Includes Video)

SectorSeven
24-08-08, 12:44 AM
This is a text guide and video I made from a while back, I recommend you download the video. The download link is in the "Details" section. Don't forget to subscribe ;) Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WY5aIBXi5tA

This is a very easy guide on compiling Ascent (Now ArcEmu). It is the safest and most custimizable way to start your own server. It is easy to do updates without having to wait on repacks to come out or update. I also just made a video (GO ME!), scroll down to view it.

This is much easier than you think and this guide will really put it in perspective for you.

Step 1: The SVN Address
In order to get ArcEmu on your computer you must have a location to download it from. This is known as the SVN address. ArcEmu's SVN address is: http://arcemu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/arcemu/. This will download the stable branches, along with the newest overall revision which isn't always stable.

Step 2: SVN Downloader Client
You need a program to download this, unless you want to open, and copy/paste over 600 files. There are many programs that you can use, but I recommend TortoiseSVN. You can download it here: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads . Please note that it only works for Windows. If you have a different operating system, simply google a client for your operating system.

Step 3: Checkout
This is the process of actually downloading the files. First, make a folder, call it anything you want and place it anywhere you want. I will call mine "Ascent". Next, right click the folder, a drop down menu will appear. Go to the TortoiseSVN bar, then select "Checkout". For the "URL of repository" blank, put the SVN address, don't worry about the rest. Optional: Advanced Users Only!!!!: If you wish to download a certain revision of Ascent, select the revision bubble instead of Head revision and type the revision you wish to download. Otherwise, you will automatically download the latest Ascent revision.

Step 4: Adding Library Files
Download this: http://filebeam.com/44c5ae2aa19266452590eab37b04218c . You will need to do this if your running on a Windows computer. Follow the instructions listed. Its pretty easy and straight forward to follow.

Step 5: Compiling Ascent
This is the process that will give you the .exe files and your script_bin files. Open up your Ascent folder, and go to the trunk folder. Select the "win" folder and double-click "ascentVC90". Look at the toolbars at the top of the page, look for the one that says "Debug". Change this to "Release" and use the keyboard shortcut F7. Wait for it to finish and then close out. Now go back to the trunk folder. Go into the "src" folder and then to the "scripts" folder. Double-click "scripts2008". Complete the same process of changing to release and using F7 to start to process.

Step 6: Finishing Up
This is the easiest part. You may wonder, Where is the Ascent now? Easy answer. The "bin" folder. Browse back to the trunk folder and it should be there.
Double-click the "Release" folder, and there is your Ascent. Now copy/paste these files to another folder on your Desktop or wherever. Get your configs from the "trunk/src" folder. Make sure that you don't remove the "Makefile" from that folder. Now set up your configs and place them in a folder called config, use the map extractor, download the DBC files and run your server.

This is the fastest and best way to run a server. The first parts of this guide works with NCDB, MaNGOS, Wcell, whatever. Just change the SVN address. It is easy to update your server once you have Ascent on your computer. Simply right-click the Ascent folder, go down to TortoiseSVN, then select Update. Recompile Ascent and then you updated your server. I recommend doing this every 2-3 days, as you will have the latest updates.

Some useful SVN Addresses:
NCDB: http://ncdp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Sun++ Scripting Project: http://svn.assembla.com/svn/sunplusplus/

Enjoy and I hope this helped!
-SectorSeven

Apple
24-08-08, 12:51 AM
Nice Guide, it will help the people alot, +REp

dbrown1986
29-12-08, 02:17 PM
I REALLY HATE TO BUMP, but I've done EVERYTHING and I'm getting 1083 on ALL of the include files.

Banidictor
30-12-08, 09:07 PM
thanks compilied it easy :)

Ethurian
26-04-09, 10:20 AM
Hello, I am having a problem with the ascent-windows-libraries folder more specifically the VC90-solution. When I am releasing it, it asks for an executable for debug session, it does not say anything about this in the readme, does anyone know what to do at this point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. And now it seems as though I have messed it up because I thought I might have to create a file so I entered a random name and now I cant get back I just keep getting this error message when I try to release it "Unable to start program 'dog'. The system cannot find the file specified.". If anyone has had a similar problem and has discovered a way to fix this please help.

Ethurian
26-04-09, 10:21 AM
I have pcre.lib in output_release but not zlib.lib

Ethurian
26-04-09, 10:24 AM
I have reversed the damage I did by redownloading the ascent-windows-libraries. but am now getting the message asking for the executable for the debug session.

Ethurian
26-04-09, 11:56 AM
for some reason I now have both zlib and pcre but now when I click ArcEmuVC90 and I release it I only get arcemu world in the bin folder, I have tried to get all of them but they will not release, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong I am a total noob sorry.

Ethurian
26-04-09, 12:28 PM
Alright now I swear this will be the last thing I will say, I dont understand how this works, on previous repacks and such, there hasd been a mysql file and an apache file if using AC Web Ultimate Repack but it does not seem like there are either in this case. also you are saying to download the dbc files. From where? I have the scripts_bin but no mysql or anything. Please help...will rep.