PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft Emulators

BrantX
01-09-08, 01:36 AM
Note :: This thread was never meant to be flamed or get me flamed, if what i posted below seems like i am hurting anyones feelings or their reputation for being a emulator and they deceide to flame, Just leave and i will have a mod delete it, If you don't like what i say below, do something about it, PM me or send me a message on MSN, Don't start Drama.

Ascent(alive)
Ascent, Was once named Antrix , But Burlex decided to rename it to Ascent and fully work on the Emulator, His goal was to make Ascent Stable and hold over 1,000 or more People on a Emulator and so he did, But until patch 2.4 came out and Burlex kept 2.4 for himself for a while for some reason, Thus making the whole Ascent community to flame Burlex, In time the flames kept rising and rising and so while Everyone decided to act "childish" and flame him Burlex released 2.4 and Quit Ascent, Witch making the project dead from updates, When he quit Burlex took down the SVN and Site from others to view and use. In time other people deiced to create Emulators based off of Ascent, But lately Burlex re-opened the SVN and let some other people gain access to the SVN For updates, Thus it still is having alot of fixes and changes, Ascent's SVN is still alive and you can use it by this link "http://mmoforge.org/svn/ascent/", While it was being updated and continued by some users, they created a new Forums aswell, you can find that here "http://www.ascentcommunity.com".

ArcEMU(alive)
ArcEMU, Is a Project that is continued from the Open-Source of "OpenAscent" and started to develop and edit OpenAscent for more fixes and updates that OpenAscent has not fixed, ArcEMU Is lead by "Hasbro", He invited a bunch of C++ Developers to help him turn OpenAscent to ArcEMU and continue to make OpenAscent more and more better than it was. ArcEMU's main purpose was to give people a Emulator since Ascent was gone and that was ArcEMU's Project Team's main Goal, To make OpenAscent better and more fixed than it was, Their SVN can be found here "svn://arcemu.info/svn/arcemu" and their Website can be found here "http://www.ArcEMU.org/", They are still alive and updating their core 24/7, For those of you deceide to say any wrong statments ArcEMU IS OpenAscent.

OpenAscent(Dead)
OpenAscent, Was the first project to be based of off Ascent, It was the first and it was greatly worked on, It was stable and could support patch 2.4, The great Project was going great with a huge goal to make the Emulator's People amazed on how greatly it was worked on and how updated it was daily, The project was doing great for the first month until one day something bad has happened, I will not say because it will just cause Flames or much more things worse, Their Website is taken down, But its not "down" its still up, The regular website they have is " OpenAscent.com " and their SVN is down and shall be down, Their site is now http://www.openascent.org/ and it is alive today but its called "ArcEMU".

RebornAscent(Dead)
As what i am told, This Emulator is Dead and Gone, I am also told that 2 developers of this Emulator are working on a different core, Thus still leaving Facts the RebornAscent is still and will forever be "dead".

RebornEMU(Dead)
RebornEMU, was a EMU Project based off of OpenAscent, It was a project that was just lusted for desire of "we are better than you" project that just flamed and made fun of the Emulator "ArcEMU", After RebornEMU Stated all of these "flames" or "opinions" they started to work on some of the core and making AV(AlteracValley) working, So they did and deceided after that they thought they were much better than every other Emulator on the spot, But not better than Ascent ;), So they deceided to think they were great and stuff, The leader of the project just created this project to lure developers and scripters for his Own Server, I will not say anymore because it will give people reasons to flame, Their Website can be found here "http://rebornemu.org/", Their SVN Can be found here "http://svn.assembla.com/svn/Reborn-Emulator/".

ManGOS(Alive)
Mangos, is the first of its kind, Mangos is a project like Ascent but it wasn't very Stable and it had a core written in C# and C++, It has not proven its stability but it has proven to make people learn the feeling of a Emulator, So Mangos's goal was just to be a learning project, Its' goal was just to show the people the feeling of a Emulator and help them strive to create great Emulators like Ascent, SpuriousEMU and ArcEMU, Their Website can be found here "http://www.mangosproject.org/forum/" and their SVN can be found here "https://mangos.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mangos/".

SpuriousEMU(Alive)
SpuriousEMU, is a Emulator written in VB.Net, Everything they have created in their core is written by The Project Team, Spurious is a closed-source atm and i hope that they will be releasing the emulator soon-or-later, Their website is "spuriousemu.com", They managed to write the whole Emulator on VB.Net and managed to make the stablity great, SpuriousEMU is probably the best emualtor that manages stability as one of its greatest concerns. Spurious is the only emulator to support Cluster (No public release yet on this), which divides out the load of each map. (For example, you can run all the major cities on one dedicated, the Outlands on another, and Azeroth on a third) This helps the lag to be very minimal and is an excellent solution to recent stability problems.

Stormcraft(Dead)
Stormcraft was the first wow emulator started by someone with little programming experience and also had little knowledge about "packets", But as the first seems to be the dead.

If i have not posted a Emulator and you want to share your information about the emulator with me, Feel free to PM me with the information.

BrantX
01-09-08, 01:39 AM
Remember, Before you post, Think before you post anything, Any flames or such will get deleted or this thread will be deleted.

SectorSeven
01-09-08, 01:42 AM
All of the Ascent derivatives were based off WoWd, an early World of Warcraft beta emulator (Which was based off Stormcraft). Stormcraft was the first wow emulator started by someone with little programming experience and also had little knowledge about "packets".

Spurious Emulator is probably the best emualtor that manages stability as one of its greatest concerns. Spurious is the only emulator to support Cluster (No public release yet on this), which divides out the load of each map. (For example, you can run all the major cities on one dedicated, the Outlands on another, and Azeroth on a third) This helps the lag to be very minimal and is an excellent solution to recent stability problems.

Reborn Emulator is no longer active and thus dead, however, I believe 2 of their developers started a new core.

BrantX
01-09-08, 01:44 AM
All of the Ascent derivatives were based off WoWd, an early World of Warcraft beta emulator (Which was based off Stormcraft). Stormcraft was the first wow emulator started by someone with little programming experience and also had little knowledge about "packets".

Spurious Emulator is probably the best emualtor that manages stability as one of its greatest concerns. Spurious is the only emulator to support Cluster (No public release yet on this), which divides out the load of each map. (For example, you can run all the major cities on one dedicated, the Outlands on another, and Azeroth on a third) This helps the lag to be very minimal and is an excellent solution to recent stability problems.

Reborn Emulator is no longer active and thus dead, however, I believe 2 of their developers started a new core.

Thank you Sector for the useful information, I will add this information to the list, Thank you for the help describing Spurious also.

SectorSeven
01-09-08, 02:33 AM
hasbro if you have something to say say it. Quit being such a hasbro >.>

SeGA1964
01-09-08, 04:35 AM
what about Commit?

Edit: And the rest Aspire etc..?

ClaiN
01-09-08, 03:39 PM
Sectorseven, Lax was a great C++ programmer with knowledge of ASM and reverse engineering. He didn't have any information on packets and didn't even know what the game looked like >.>
Also, an alpha, not beta emulator :P

WCell is an emulator written from scratch in C#. It doesn't have many features, but is strong and organized in some points.

Coldmrn
05-09-08, 09:25 AM
Wow nice list that you've put together here

Will look into finding more Emulators to add to this list :)

ClaiN
05-09-08, 11:36 AM
If he wants more to add then I suggest he researches

Codeserver
WoWCore
WCell

BrantX
06-09-08, 12:54 AM
wut am i thinking?

Nika
09-02-09, 07:47 PM
RebornEMU(Dead)
RebornEMU, was a EMU Project based off of OpenAscent, It was a project that was just lusted for desire of "we are better than you" project that just flamed and made fun of the Emulator "ArcEMU", After RebornEMU Stated all of these "flames" or "opinions" they started to work on some of the core and making AV(AlteracValley) working, So they did and deceided after that they thought they were much better than every other Emulator on the spot, But not better than Ascent ;), So they deceided to think they were great and stuff, The leader of the project just created this project to lure developers and scripters for his Own Server, I will not say anymore because it will give people reasons to flame, Their Website can be found here "http://rebornemu.org/", Their SVN Can be found here "http://svn.assembla.com/svn/Reborn-Emulator/".

- REBORNEMU FTW- Lol

Boxxy
11-02-09, 05:41 PM
Leaf Emu(o.o)
Epic emu that is supposed to be released this year, it was semi confirmed that it exists by gastric on another wow website. It is supposed to have a autoupdating core and many other features that seem to good to be true.
"No current website"

Nika
11-02-09, 08:15 PM
Yeah, im not 100% sure about LeafEmu... Sounds to good to be true.

EbonHold
12-02-09, 11:03 AM
Yeah, im not 100% sure about LeafEmu... Sounds to good to be true.

Leaf Emulator was confirmed fake by Hasbro, Burlex and a few others in conversations. Best emulator to use is hearthstone atm till arc catches up or gets better devs. Ascent is still worked on but slowly Zed and Andy are doing a great job with it and it should be atleast 3.0.3 and or 3.0.8 I haven't checked the op's or packet structures in a while for it.

Zaronz
12-02-09, 11:25 AM
Jesus.. I miss the "Real" Ascent.. :(

stoneharry
12-02-09, 12:31 PM
I heard leaf-emu was working but very unstable at the moment..

Zaronz
12-02-09, 12:49 PM
Leaf may become public or w/e but i don't think it will get these exclusive features.

stoneharry
12-02-09, 03:32 PM
Interesting but not what my views were :P
I always used to think Mangos is extremly stable and most blizzlike of all emulaters at the moment; only problem is that... everything doesn't make sense :P For example summon is .namego, because of this sort of thing custom content is a nightmare and unstable in most cases.
I miss Antrix, back then it was like... the main emulater. Most people worked together (as far as I knew). Mangos had a terrible reputation! :)
These are my experiances anyway,
Personally looking at your posts I think you should just calm down and think for a minute. People just like to 'troll' around and flame. You wont find a single big post/release out there without a few flames. You just need to get used to it and ignore it :) You don't need mods to delete everything for you and to go around swearing simple because somone doesn't like what you have posted.
Anyway back on topic, I learnt something new today :) Never knew Stormcraft could be multi-hosted for the different parts of the map.

Edit: I just scrolled up and saw I posted something, ha, ah well this was the post I actually read the thread properly.

Zaronz
12-02-09, 04:18 PM
Personally looking at your posts I think you should just calm down and think for a minute. People just like to 'troll' around and flame. You wont find a single big post/release out there without a few flames. You just need to get used to it and ignore it :) You don't need mods to delete everything for you and to go around swearing simple because somone doesn't like what you have posted. Who are you talking to?

stoneharry
13-02-09, 10:19 AM
Read the first page :P Just the thread maker mainly.

Boxxy
15-02-09, 10:06 PM
Leaf Emulator was confirmed fake by Hasbro, Burlex and a few others in conversations. Best emulator to use is hearthstone atm till arc catches up or gets better devs. Ascent is still worked on but slowly Zed and Andy are doing a great job with it and it should be atleast 3.0.3 and or 3.0.8 I haven't checked the op's or packet structures in a while for it.

Source of this confirmation of fakenes?

zaint
04-03-09, 07:39 PM
very good the list.

but are more emulator that you can put... (Lea emu, mangos...)

johnboy42
20-04-09, 11:02 PM
How up to date is this?

I'm trying to decide what core to run my very private with, (home lan not connected to internet ... makes for lonely wow but no one bothers me) and looking for a good honest assessment of each. Hopefully I've found it.

+rep for compiling the list anyway

k1llum1nat1
21-04-09, 11:38 AM
mangos link needs updating, www.getmangos.com

Moridin
23-04-09, 04:45 AM
ascent, arcemu and mangos are still alive for sure
but not sure about spuriousemu

DarkestHour.
28-04-09, 11:36 PM
Nice little list you have there :) thanks